Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bored

Can I just say that I am bored.  Yep, I said it.  I know that I used to tell my children to find something to do, that with all those toys and books they could not possibly be bored.  Yep, I am bored. 

Before I retired in 2004, I thought that being retired would give me all this free time to do the things that I had always dreamed of doing.  What I did not take into consideration was that I would not have anyone to share in these magical adventures.  I have come to realize that when you retire, all those friends you made in your 30+ year career would not keep in touch.  After the first 6 months of retirement I had basically stopped hearing from all my working friends.  Do the think 'I died' is what I asked one of my children recently. 

I live in a state where I did not grow up, so I do not have any childhood/school friends here.  Although I am a spiritual person, I am not into organized religion.  I live in the Bible Belt, so there you go. 

I did not dream that my retirement would be so boring.  Now I know why people frequently die after they retire.  I even went outside my comfort level and starting attending exercise classes at the local Senior Center.  After six months of going there 3-5 days a week, I still did not know anyone well enough to say anything other than 'hi, how are you doing'.  It seems that most of the ladies had lived in this town most of their lives and like when I was in high school, there are definite clicks of people.  Don't get me wrong, they are all polite and pleasant, they just are not very friendly. 

So I am bored.  I have looked for a job, but with the economy being in such a state, it does not seem likely that I will find one any time soon.  I have opened my week-end booth at the flea market and have been sewing lots, but that too is a solitary activity.  I do get to talk to customers and the other vendors at the flea market, and that helps.  Am I complaining, yeah, I guess I am in a way.  More than complaining I am stating the facts about retiring without the benefit of a support system.  Being socially isolated is not fun.  It is so not what I lived all my life thinking.  I worked all those years thinking that when I retired I would feel fulfilled and happy. 

Hey this is my blog and I can say what is on my mind, so today that is exactly what I have done.  Hope I did not put a downer on your day!   I just decided to call it like I see it.  I am not unhappy, I am BORED! 

No comments:

Post a Comment